Friday 3 November 2023

Tuscan Enchantment by Kate Zarrelli


So, something a bit different today. Well, quite a lot different really from my usual digest of crime and darkness. I'm visiting the light side with a little bit of romance. And who doesn't like a happy ending? Especially when you haven't had one! 😂 Although I had no idea going into Tuscan Enchantment by Kate Zarrelli whether I would get my perfect ending or not! Many thanks to Kelly Lacey at Love Books Tours for the invitation and to the publisher for my review copy.



The Blurb

Librarian Antonia Gray has fled England for northern Tuscany to recover after an unhappy love affair and to work on the archive of a 17th century Italian explorer, a member of a centuries-old aristocratic family. There she meets his descendent, Lorenzo Quattromani, rich, arrogant, handsome - and engaged to the beautiful and ruthless Austrian Giselle. The last thing Antonia wants is to fall in love, least of all with someone so incredibly dangerous. His engagement, though, is not what it seems, but while Lorenzo breaks down Antonia’s resistance Giselle has other ideas.


Buy Links

Romaunce Books 
Amazon UK 
Amazon US 



My Review


Regular visitors to this blog will know that romance isn't really my thing. Well, let me rephrase that - romance books don't feature heavily for me but I certainly wouldn't say no to an actual bit of real life romance! But I had previously read Kate Zarrelli's erotic novel, The Casanova Papers (being republished by Romaunce Books next year), and loved it so thought I'd take a chance with this one. Just to be clear, though, Tuscan Enchantment is not erotica (so please don't be concerned if that's not your thing) but lovely romance. 

Librarian Antonia has left the UK following a break up and headed to Italy to focus on work. She is helping the elderly Countess Laura Quattromani catalogue the family papers, specifically those of ancestor Gianluca Quattromani. The countess is visited by her handsome nephew with his glamorous fiancée and their arrival turns Antonia's life upside down. 

This is a quick read, just around two hours for me, but a wonderful bit of escapism. The Italian countryside and the faded grandeur of the villas are beautifully described. Lorenzo sounds gorgeous, as does Antonia, in a more earthy way. But I was ready to punch Giselle! You will be too. Although not centre to the love story, I think the countess was my favourite character. Crotchety and sharp - she has some great retorts - but also kind and knowing. I'd love an aunt like her (although I love the aunts I have, of course)! 

You need to suspend disbelief a little bit for this story  (or maybe things like this do happen in real life), but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's going back to what I said earlier about escapism - it's good to do sometimes! And it's a lovely story, full of ups and downs, love, heartbreak and sunshine.Tuscan Enchantment is the perfect read for a chilly autumn/winter day - get a fluffy blanket, a hot drink and a snack and while away a few hours in sunny Tuscany! Lovely and very enjoyable. 


The Author

Kate Zarrelli is a pen name of Katherine Mezzacappa, an Irish author who lives with her Italian husband and Iris the cat, in northern Tuscany, between the Apuan Alps and the Tyrrhenian Sea - the setting for Tuscan Enchantment. As Katie Hutton she has published The Gypsy Bride, The Gypsy's Daughter and Annie of Ainsworth's Mill with Zaffre, with The Maid of Lindall Hall to follow next year. As Katherine Mezzacappa, her The Ballad of Mary Kearney will be published by Addison & Highsmith in 2023 and The Virgin of Florence with Fairlight Books the year after. Her short fiction has been published in a range of magazines worldwide. She is also a manuscript assessor for a major London literary consultancy. Kate has worked as a management consultant, a museum curator, a seamstress and a care assistant. In her spare time, she volunteers with a second-hand book charity of which she is a founder member. Kate's next title for Romaunce is an erotic love story set in Venice, The Casanova Papers, for publication January 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Alliance by Matt Brolly

It's my pleasure to share my review for a book that just grabbed me as soon as I read the blurb - The Alliance by Matt Brolly. Big thank...