Saturday 3 November 2018

Before She Falls by Dylan Young #blogtour

I have been looking forward to reading this, my first book by Dylan Young. I had no idea it was part of a series, and look forward to reading the others. Huge thanks to the author and Noelle Holten from Bookoutre for inviting me to be on the tour and providing my review copy.


The Blurb:

Kimberley was a beautiful young girl with the world at her feet.
Before she fell.
Before she was gone.

When Kimberley Williams jumps off Southerndown Cliff, her family and the close-knit community are shocked. What would make her take her own life when she had so much of it left to live?

Detective Anna Gwynne is assigned to the case after it becomes clear that someone made Kimberley jump. Someone had been sending Kimberley messages, saying they would tell everyone her secret…

Then Anna realises there are others, all being sent the same messages, all with their lives at risk. To find the truth she will have to confront her own past, the lies she’s told about her childhood and the demons hidden there…

Can she save these innocent lives?

What is the secret they’re all dying for?

An absolutely gripping thriller that will hook you from beginning to end. If you love Val McDermid, Angela Marsons and Robert Dugoni, you won’t be able to put down Before She Falls.


Buy links


My Review:

Gosh, where to start? I have children, and losing a child is absolutely the worst thing I can imagine. And my children are teenagers, a similar age to the children featured in this book. My blood ran cold. Of course, I have heard about websites of the type mentioned in this book, but nobody ever thinks this kind of thing will happen to them or theirs. 

I found bits of this book hard to read, because of the above. But I thought it was very original - I certainly haven't read anything else like it. It's bleak in places, but for me it was very real - a case of 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

I absolutely adored Anna. Her complete commitment to the job and her tenaciousness when she really felt that she was on to something. I thought the examination of her past was really interesting and I loved her vulnerability here. And Ben, championing her differences, was a hero. Her relationship with her mum is complex and at times brutal (on her mum's part) and sets Anna on a path to discover more about her and her family.

When I read this, I had no idea it was the third in a series. It works brilliantly as a standalone and I didn't feel disadvantaged for not reading the previous books at all. That said, I will be seeking then out because I enjoyed this one so much. 

Anna's team are all richly described, but I have to single out Phil Dawes, the newest member of the team. His relationship with Anna starts off tentatively, but moves to a place of mutual trust. He's a stand up, logical kind of guy that she realises that she can rely on.

I have deliberately not said much about the story. This is because I just don't want to ruin anything. It's a brilliant complex story, sad in places, tense and builds to a great climax. And there are a few red herrings along the way. I got frustrated when I thought I'd solved it, only to find that actually I hadn't. 

If you have read any Dylan Young before, particularly in this series, I'm sure that you'll love Before She Falls. If you're new to Dylan Young, then you will want to read more by him. I know I definitely do. 

The Author


Dylan Young grew up in a mining village in South Wales before boarding a train for university in London. A career in the NHS followed, but the urge to write never went away. Three dark psychological thrillers for Random House emerged in the late nineties, two of which were made into BBC films. Over the last decade, under different pseudonyms, he’s written children’s books and an adult contemporary fantasy series. But his liking for crime (writing) never died. Book 1 in the Detective Anne Gwynne crime thriller series, The Silent Girls, and Book 2, Blood Runs Cold, are available now.



2 comments:

  1. Suze, what a wonderful review! I am so pleased that you 'enjoyed' the book. As an author of crime fiction, there has to be a reason for writing about bad things which goes a little bit beyond just the thrills of a vicarious adventure. But it's a fine line between that and prtentious preaching. Blending it all together I suppose is the art. I hope I managed that for you.

    I also see that you're a David Blake fan! I wear other hats and am in the process of revamping my fantasy crime series called the Hipposync archives. I write these as DC farmer. Anway, when the covers are all done, and if you're up for it, I'll send you a copy (paperback) of the first ion the series called the 400 lb Gorilla. I've had to put these on the back burner sicne Anna appeared, but I actually think you'd love them. Anyway, no pressure, but they sound like your cup of tea and I'm always after an honest review.

    Anna sends her regards.

    DY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dylan
      Thanks so much for commenting. You did manage to strike the balance for me. I'm looking forward to reading more about Anna.
      You're right, I'm a fan of David's books - love a good giggle. Also love Terry Pratchett's work.
      I would love a copy of The 400lb Gorilla whenever it's ready. The title is already making me smile. I will be happy to read and review it, but I can't guarantee how quickly I'll be able to do it! x

      Delete

Crow Moon by Suzy Aspley

I'm always excited to read debut novels. Particularly crime ones. And particularly ones set in Scotland. And as the author has the same ...