Sunday 16 September 2018

Space Police: Enemy at the Cat Flap by David Blake

I was delighted to have the opportunity to read another book in Space Police series via the Reviewers Request Group in The Book Club on Facebook. Thanks to them and David for my review copy.


The Blurb:

It’s the 25th Century and the President of Earth is about to be assassinated.

Meanwhile… The Mayor of London’s cat has gone missing, and it’s up to Capstan and Dewbush to find it. But when they discover an ancient cat flap that for centuries has been used as a gateway to another planet, what starts off as a bog-standard missing pet case soon becomes something altogether more sinister.

This, the fifth in the brand new Space Police series, is a hilariously funny Sci Fi space comedy that's just perfect for fans of Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Terry Pratchett, and the Space Team books.

My Review:

Hurray! My favourite intergalactic crime fighting duo are back! I adore this pair, particularly sweet naive Dewbush, the 25th century Penfold to Capstan's Danger Mouse (sorry, haven't come up with a better comparison yet).

I have come to truly love this series, and this is another brilliant addition to it. It gave me a good giggle, and who doesn't need that occasionally?

What can I tell you without spoiling it? Not much, really - you'll just have to read it! Cats feature heavily, although not as you know them - I hope! It's a little bit saucy in places. The President of Earth is compromised. And Gavin gets drunk. And that's all I'm going to say. Oh, except that my favourite 25th century social media platform, Slaptwat, gets a cameo.

It's brilliantly bonkers and utterly ridiculous, and I loved it. It was a joy to read, and fair brightened up a couple of grey rainy days. All the characters are well described, as are their surroundings. The author has a knack for writing the utterly absurd as if it were completely normal. And as I have mentioned in a previous review, I think it's genius to write a comedy series set in a future where humour is outlawed.

Highly recommended for anybody looking for a good laugh and who enjoys the ridiculous, and do check out the rest of the series.

You can buy Space Police: Enemy at the Cat Flap on Amazon.

You can read my reviews of some of David's other books by using the links below:
Space Police: The Final Fish Finger
Space Police: The Toaster that Time Forgot
Space Police: Rise of the Retail-Bot

The Author:



David Blake is married and lives in London with his young family.

When not writing he spends his time attempting to persuade his wife that she really doesn't need to buy the entire contents of Ikea, even if there is a sale on. And when there are no items of flat-packed furniture for him to assemble he enjoys writing, base-jumping, and drawing up plans to demolish his house to build the world’s largest charity shop.

For more information, visit David's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow Moon by Suzy Aspley

I'm always excited to read debut novels. Particularly crime ones. And particularly ones set in Scotland. And as the author has the same ...