Saturday 9 June 2018

Savage Lies by Peter Boland

I have just finished this brilliant book. I think it's one of my favourites so far this year. Thanks to the author and TBC Reviewers Request Group on Facebook for the opportunity to read it.



The Blurb:

The most dangerous man in the world is the one with nothing to live for.

John Savage keeps hearing a voice in his head telling him to end it all. It’s surprising he doesn’t hear more voices, considering the hundreds of people he’s killed in the name of democracy. That changes when a girl disappears. The police think she’s the victim of a serial killer, but John has another theory. One that turns out to be far more terrifying...

Savage Lies is a fast-paced action thriller for fans of Lee Child and David Baldacci.

My Review:

Wow! My goodness, what a book! Took me to a place I wasn't expecting it to.

Troubled retired soldier John Savage steps in to help Theresa when a low life thug is pushing her around. Later she contacts Savage to thank him, and mentions that her daughter Bella has been missing for a year. Savage vows to find her and enlists talented hacker Tannaz to help him. Starting with a messed up job by the aforementioned thug, the search for Bella takes John abroad, and not always travelling in a conventional manner...

The story zips along, twisting and turning as it does. The tension doesn't let up. I thought I knew where the story was going, but it suddenly veers off in another direction. On one or two occasions, I found bits hard to read, because what was happening was so abhorrent to me, but I think this is just proof of how well written this book is.

I loved John Savage. I am always drawn to damaged men (!) and he carries a lot of pain. But his experiences in the army have shaped him and served him well, and he has a strong sense of right and wrong. He's the kind of man you'd want on your side. Tannaz is also brilliant - she's full of attitude, feisty and fabulous. And she sure knows what she's doing. But wait til you meet Jeff Perkins...I so wanted to punch him!

This book is fantastic. It's ultimately about fear of those different from ourselves, ignorance, bullying and brainwashing  It's well written, with great characters and a brilliant storyline. It's also very relevant in our society today where we are seeing a rise in extremism from various quarters, but also where there have been recent dubious political decisions, both in the UK and US, about how we deal with, or treat, those we deem to be 'foreigners'.

I can't recommend this highly enough, and am already looking forward to reading the next book from Peter Boland.

You can purchase Savage Lies here.


2 comments:

  1. Great review - really made me want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I really enjoyed it - hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete

Crow Moon by Suzy Aspley

I'm always excited to read debut novels. Particularly crime ones. And particularly ones set in Scotland. And as the author has the same ...