Saturday 24 March 2018

Dead Gone by Luca Veste


I recently read Dead Gone by Luca Veste, the first book in the Murphy and Rossi series. This was my first book by Luca, but it certainly won't be my last!

I had the good fortune to meet Luca recently, at the Glasgow launch of his new stand alone novel, The Bone Keeper, which is rapidly rising to the top of my TBR pile. We also went to the pub, but that's a while other story (I was completely led astray, although not by Luca)! Anyway, I can testify that Luca is a thoroughly lovely bloke, who laughs a lot, which is always good as far as I am concerned! He is also the bass player in the Fun Lovin' Crime Writers band, who you must see if you get the chance.

The Blurb:

The young girl you have found isn’t the first experiment I’ve carried out. She won’t be the last.
A tense, unpredictable crime debut that will not only have you gripped, but will chill you to the bone. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride and Mark Billingham.
A serial killer is stalking the streets of Liverpool, gruesomely murdering victims as part of a series of infamous, unethical and deadly psychological experiments.
When it becomes apparent that each victim has ties to the City of Liverpool University, DI David Murphy and DS Laura Rossi realise they're chasing a killer unlike any they've hunted before – one who doesn’t just want his victims’ bodies, but wants their minds too.
With a series of psychological twists Dead Gone will keep you guessing until the very end.

My Review:

This is the first book I've read by this author. It's also the first in a series featuring DI David Murphy and DS Laura Rossi. A great start - I will certainly be seeking out the others in the series.
A serial killer is murdering victims who have a connection with the university, and Murphy and Rossi are tasked with solving the case.

It becomes apparent to them, and us, that the victims were part of highly dubious psychological experiments carried out by the perpetrator. The experiments are described in letters left on the bodies for the police, but are also seen through the eyes of some of the 'subjects'. It's all very chilling and has obviously been well researched.

The book moves along at a cracking pace. I really enjoyed Murphy's relationship with Rossi, and also with his best friend Jess. He has clearly has some issues, both personal and professional, in the past, and these are touched upon in the book.
I thought it was a highly original story, that played out really well. I was partly right in guessing who the perpetrator is, but there was a big twist regarding that, that I didn't see coming at all. Looking forward to reading more by this author.

You can buy Dead Gone here:




And  all good bookshops!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow Moon by Suzy Aspley

I'm always excited to read debut novels. Particularly crime ones. And particularly ones set in Scotland. And as the author has the same ...